2018/2019 Competency-Based Task/Competency List for Marine Corps JROTC II (MC7916/36 weeks)
NOTE: Instructors are asked to continue relying heavily on their branch-specific curriculum guides to complement this core set of competencies.
All tasks are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.
Demonstrating Workplace Readiness Skills: Personal Qualities and People Skills
Demonstrating Workplace Readiness Skills: Professional Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrate effective speaking and listening skills.
- Demonstrate effective reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate critical-thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrate healthy behaviors and safety skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of workplace organizations, systems, and climates.
- Demonstrate lifelong-learning skills.
- Demonstrate job-acquisition and advancement skills.
- Demonstrate time-, task-, and resource-management skills.
- Demonstrate job-specific mathematics skills.
- Demonstrate customer-service skills.
Demonstrating Workplace Readiness Skills: Technology Knowledge and Skills
Examining All Aspects of an Industry
- Examine aspects of planning within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of management within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of financial responsibility within an industry/organization.
- Examine technical and production skills required of workers within an industry/organization.
- Examine principles of technology that underlie an industry/organization.
- Examine labor issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine community issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine health, safety, and environmental issues related to an industry/organization.
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
Developing Knowledge of General Military Subjects
- Outline the benefits of participating in the United States Marine Corps’ (USMC) JROTC program.
- Describe the U.S. military chain of command (i.e., organizational structure).
- Explain the philosophy and purpose behind military grades and ranks/rates.
- Describe how American military conflicts resulted in the evolution of the USMC.
- Describe how war has furthered advancements in technology.
- Demonstrate courtesy in given situations.
- Establish a checklist to improve inspection readiness (e.g., wear and care of the uniform and personal grooming).
- Identify situations in which the hand salute is not required.
- Demonstrate flag etiquette.
- Explain the philosophy and purpose behind U.S. Navy and USMC proper greeting.
- Conduct military drill at the unit level.
- Perform land navigation.
- Demonstrate marksmanship safety procedures.
- Identify marksmanship shooting positions.
- Demonstrate safe range operations.
- Describe the traits of a good leader.
- Describe the 11 leadership principles.
- Summarize the benefits and risks in assuming a leadership role.
- Select the optimum leadership styles for given situations.
- Identify techniques for encouraging others.
- Identify advantages of teamwork.
- Identify the roles of a leader in a given team project.
- Compare contemporary leaders and their distinguishing traits and principles.
- Establish leadership goals.
- Identify common leadership and followership opportunities.
- Demonstrate behaviors that might lead to promotion.
- Demonstrate patriotism.
- Identify the significance of the Freedom Documents.
- Identify the significance of the Bill of Rights.
- Identify U.S. citizenship requirements.
- Identify political systems throughout the world.
- Identify economic systems throughout the world.
- Identify the three branches of government.
- Explain the history of the U.S. flag.
- Identify a current U.S. military presence in a foreign region.
- Explain the relevance of equity issues.
- Research a community-service opportunity.
Developing Personal Growth and Responsibility
- Maintain personal hygiene.
- Take a physical fitness test.
- Identify the strengths and weaknesses of one's personal fitness.
- Implement a physical fitness training program.
- Document a personal physical fitness training program.
- Improve physical performance over time.
- Identify the biological processes of substance abuse and stress that impede a healthy lifestyle.
- Identify first-aid procedures.
- Identify the 11 general orders.
- Identify military disciplinary systems.
- Explain the philosophy of JROTC and military disciplinary actions.
- Develop self-discipline.
- Comply with procedures in the cadet or student handbook.
- Apply verbal and written presentation methods for a given topic.
- Demonstrate verbal and written presentation methods for a given topic.