2018/2019 Competency-Based Task/Competency List for Marine Corps JROTC I (MC7913/36 weeks)
NOTE: Instructors are asked to continue relying heavily on their branch-specific curriculum guides to complement this core set of competencies.
All tasks are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.
Demonstrating Workplace Readiness Skills: Personal Qualities and People Skills
Demonstrating Workplace Readiness Skills: Professional Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrate effective speaking and listening skills.
- Demonstrate effective reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate critical-thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrate healthy behaviors and safety skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of workplace organizations, systems, and climates.
- Demonstrate lifelong-learning skills.
- Demonstrate job-acquisition and advancement skills.
- Demonstrate time-, task-, and resource-management skills.
- Demonstrate job-specific mathematics skills.
- Demonstrate customer-service skills.
Demonstrating Workplace Readiness Skills: Technology Knowledge and Skills
Examining All Aspects of an Industry
- Examine aspects of planning within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of management within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of financial responsibility within an industry/organization.
- Examine technical and production skills required of workers within an industry/organization.
- Examine principles of technology that underlie an industry/organization.
- Examine labor issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine community issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine health, safety, and environmental issues related to an industry/organization.
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
Introducing General Military Subjects
- Identify the branches of United States military service.
- Identify the mission statement of Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (JROTC).
- Identify the core values of the United States Marine Corps’ (USMC) JROTC program.
- List the benefits of participating in USMC JROTC.
- Identify the U.S. military chain of command (i.e., organizational structure).
- Explain the concept of rank/rate in the U.S. Armed Forces.
- Identify U.S. Navy and USMC military ranks/rates.
- Identify U.S. military grade within rank/rate.
- Identify American conflicts as they relate to the history of the USMC.
- Describe the rationale behind studying history, military strategies, and leaders.
- Define courtesy.
- Identify expectations for inspection readiness (e.g., wear and care of the uniform, insignia placement, and personal grooming).
- Identify the procedures for executing the hand salute.
- Identify standards of flag etiquette.
- Identify expectations for U.S. Navy and USMC proper greeting.
- Identify the procedures for USMC drill.
- Explain the evolution of marksmanship.
- Identify marksmanship safety procedures.
- Define leadership.
- Define followership.
- List the traits of a good leader.
- List the principles of a good leader.
- Identify benefits and risks in assuming a leadership role.
- Identify leadership skills and strategies.
- Identify leadership styles.
- Identify the benefits of using different leadership styles in different situations.
- Define morale and esprit de corps.
- Identify historical and contemporary leaders and their distinguishing characteristics.
- Follow the leadership of a peer/classmate.
- Identify behaviors that might lead to promotion.
Introducing Personal Growth and Responsibility
- Identify personal hygiene standards.
- Identify the components of fitness.
- Describe the benefits of exercise and a healthy diet.
- Take a physical fitness test.
- Describe how training can improve physical performance over time.
- Engage in a personal physical fitness training program.
- Identify factors that impede a healthy lifestyle.
- Identify first-aid terms and abbreviations.
- Identify social and JROTC consequences for personal actions.
- Define discipline.
- Establish goals for developing self-discipline.
- Comply with procedures in the cadet or student handbook.