2018/2019 Competency-Based Task/Competency List for Entrepreneurship Education, Advanced (9094/36 weeks)
Tasks/competencies when marked as such; they and/or additional tasks/competencies may be taught at the discretion of the school division. All other tasks are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.are considered optional
Demonstrating Workplace Readiness Skills: Personal Qualities and People Skills
Demonstrating Workplace Readiness Skills: Professional Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrate effective speaking and listening skills.
- Demonstrate effective reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate critical-thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrate healthy behaviors and safety skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of workplace organizations, systems, and climates.
- Demonstrate lifelong-learning skills.
- Demonstrate job-acquisition and advancement skills.
- Demonstrate time-, task-, and resource-management skills.
- Demonstrate job-specific mathematics skills.
- Demonstrate customer-service skills.
Demonstrating Workplace Readiness Skills: Technology Knowledge and Skills
Examining All Aspects of an Industry
- Examine aspects of planning within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of management within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of financial responsibility within an industry/organization.
- Examine technical and production skills required of workers within an industry/organization.
- Examine principles of technology that underlie an industry/organization.
- Examine labor issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine community issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine health, safety, and environmental issues related to an industry/organization.
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
Preparing for Life as an Entrepreneur
Understanding Small-Business Management Concepts
- Explain legal issues related to setting up a sole proprietorship, corporation, partnership, franchise, and not-for-profit.
- List the steps for acquiring a business license.
- Explain legal regulations that relate to small businesses.
- Explain human resources management functions.
- List the steps for hiring employees.
- List steps for orienting and training employees.
- Explain strategies for motivating employees.
- Explain human resources policies (e.g., training, compensation, benefits) for an entrepreneurial enterprise.
- Determine insurance coverage needs and the steps in securing insurance coverage.
- List the steps for obtaining contract workers.
- Identify the uses of technology in entrepreneurship.
Projecting Financial Requirements
- Assess personal financial status.
- Evaluate alternative financing sources.
- Project cash flow.
- Describe accounting procedures and the importance of keeping good financial records.
- Explain the concept of break-even analysis.
- Explain ROI (return on investment) and ROS (return on sales).
- Prepare a projected income statement.
- Explain the impact of interest-rate fluctuations.
- Develop a budget.
Marketing a Business
- Explain the concept and importance of marketing research.
- Describe the regulation of marketing information management.
- Conduct primary and secondary market research for a business.
- Use research to analyze an industry.
- Explain the concept of channels of distribution.
- Describe product positioning strategies.
- Explain the role of philanthropy in marketing a business.
- Develop a marketing plan.
Understanding Economic Influences on a Business
Applying Sales and Customer Service Skills
Starting an Entrepreneurial Business
Maintaining an Entrepreneurial Business
- Identify potential crises that may occur in a business and appropriate responses, using SWOT analysis.
- Develop a growth plan for a business.
- Develop a plan for continuing improvement.
- Update a product or service.
- Compare cash flow budget against actual performance.
- Explain the importance of compiling data for updating a business strategy.
- Outline procedures for updating a business strategy.
- Explain the benefits of fostering employee loyalty.
- Describe procedures for maintaining regular communication with bankers, supply chain management, and other professionals.
- Explain methods to maintain customer loyalty.
- Develop leadership and management skills.