2018/2019 Competency-Based Task/Competency List for Entrepreneurship Education (9093/36 weeks)
Tasks/competencies when marked as such; they and/or additional tasks/competencies may be taught at the discretion of the school division. All other tasks are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.are considered optional
Demonstrating Workplace Readiness Skills: Personal Qualities and People Skills
Demonstrating Workplace Readiness Skills: Professional Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrate effective speaking and listening skills.
- Demonstrate effective reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate critical-thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrate healthy behaviors and safety skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of workplace organizations, systems, and climates.
- Demonstrate lifelong-learning skills.
- Demonstrate job-acquisition and advancement skills.
- Demonstrate time-, task-, and resource-management skills.
- Demonstrate job-specific mathematics skills.
- Demonstrate customer-service skills.
Demonstrating Workplace Readiness Skills: Technology Knowledge and Skills
Examining All Aspects of an Industry
- Examine aspects of planning within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of management within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of financial responsibility within an industry/organization.
- Examine technical and production skills required of workers within an industry/organization.
- Examine principles of technology that underlie an industry/organization.
- Examine labor issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine community issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine health, safety, and environmental issues related to an industry/organization.
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
- Explain the concept of entrepreneurship.
- Describe goals of being an entrepreneur.
- Research important entrepreneurs.
- Describe personality traits and skills that make an effective entrepreneur.
- Explain how being an entrepreneur affects one’s way of life.
- Describe the role of innovation in entrepreneurship.
- Explain where entrepreneurial opportunities exist.
- Examine career opportunities in entrepreneurship.
- Identify time-management skills.
- Assess risks of personal decisions.
- Describe the purposes and types of business communication.
- Identify components of an oral presentation.
- Explain the importance of business ethics.
- Describe trends in entrepreneurship.
Understanding Business Ownership
- Examine the evolution of businesses in the local community.
- Identify the impact of small business/entrepreneurship on market economies.
- Explain the major reasons for businesses failing.
- Analyze strategies that can be used to manage the risks of a new business.
- Describe major types of business ownership.
- Describe types of entrepreneurial businesses.
- Describe the major types of businesses.
- Explore sources of labor.
- Develop a job description.
- Describe the procedures for hiring, managing, and dismissing employees.
- Explain the concept of chain of command.
- Identify sources of information for entrepreneurs.
Understanding Financial Statements
Understanding Marketing Principles
- Explain the components of the marketing mix.
- Describe outbound and inbound marketing.
- Explain the concept of target market.
- Explain the purpose of branding.
- Identify the elements of the promotional mix.
- Develop a sample of each element in the promotional mix.
- Describe the marketing functions and their importance.
- Identify sources for products or services.
- Explain pricing strategies.
Understanding Basic Economic Principles
Developing Sales and Customer Service Skills
Planning an Entrepreneurial Business
- Identify business ideas that meet a market need in the school or community.
- Identify the purposes and components of a business model and a business plan.
- Describe business costs.
- Explain the process of projecting initial funding requirements.
- Develop a mission statement.
- Develop a vision statement.
- Analyze potential competitors.
- Explain the concept of SWOT analysis.
- Develop a business plan.