2019/2020 Competency-Based Task/Competency List for Basic Small Engine Repair (8724/36 weeks, 140 hours)
Tasks/competencies when marked as such; they and/or additional tasks/competencies may be taught at the discretion of the school division. All other tasks are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.are considered optional
Demonstrating Personal Qualities and Abilities
Demonstrating Interpersonal Skills
Demonstrating Professional Competencies
- Demonstrate big-picture thinking.
- Demonstrate career- and life-management skills.
- Demonstrate continuous learning and adaptability.
- Manage time and resources.
- Demonstrate information-literacy skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of information security.
- Maintain working knowledge of current information-technology (IT) systems.
- Demonstrate proficiency with technologies, tools, and machines common to a specific occupation.
- Apply mathematical skills to job-specific tasks.
- Demonstrate professionalism.
- Demonstrate reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate workplace safety.
Examining All Aspects of an Industry
- Examine aspects of planning within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of management within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of financial responsibility within an industry/organization.
- Examine technical and production skills required of workers within an industry/organization.
- Examine principles of technology that underlie an industry/organization.
- Examine labor issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine community issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine health, safety, and environmental issues related to an industry/organization.
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
Exploring Work-Based Learning
Applying Safety Practices on the Job
- Describe the safe use of chemicals.
- Describe the safe use of standard and metric hand tools.
- Describe the safe use of power tools.
- Describe the safe use of precision standard and metric measuring tools.
- Describe the safe use of protective clothing and equipment.
- Describe the safe use of fire protection equipment.
- Describe the safe use of shop equipment.
- Follow safety standards and regulations of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the Education Committee of the Equipment and Engine Training Council (EETC), and Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
Performing Shop Operations
Identifying Fasteners and Their Uses
Diagnosing and Servicing 4-Cycle Engine
Diagnosing and Servicing Fuel System
- Diagnose and determine needed repair on fuel system.
- Remove and replace the fuel tank and fuel lines.
- Remove and replace the fuel filter systems.
- Diagnose and determine needed repair on air cleaner system.
- Disassemble, clean, and inspect diaphragm-type carburetor.
- Reassemble and adjust a diaphragm-type carburetor.
- Disassemble, clean, and inspect a float-type carburetor.
- Reassemble and adjust float-type carburetor.
- Clean crankcase breather.
Diagnosing and Servicing General Electrical System
Diagnosing and Servicing Manual Starting System
Diagnosing and Servicing Ignition System
Diagnosing and Servicing 2-Cycle Engine
- Apply 2-cycle engine theory.
- Diagnose and determine needed repair on 2-cycle engine components.
- Remove and disassemble 2-cycle engine.
- Determine wear on internal engine parts, using precision standard and metric measuring tools.
- Reassemble 2-cycle engine.
- Service and repair diaphragm-type carburetor used on 2-cycle engine.
- Mix fuel at appropriate ratio.
Diagnosing and Servicing Lawn Mower
- Adjust clutch controls (e.g., cables, rods, and springs).
- Inspect and service mower decks.
- Set height of cut.
- Lubricate mower.
- Grind and balance rotary blade.
- Diagnose needed repair for self-propelled drive system on walk-behind mower.
- Inspect and service steering assembly.
- Replace and adjust throttle cable.
- Test and adjust the blade/operator-presence control system (engine brake).
- Inspect and/or replace brake pad.
- Test the kill switch.
Diagnosing and Servicing Chain Saw
Diagnosing and Servicing String Trimmer
Diagnosing and Servicing Cooling Systems
Diagnosing and Servicing Governor Systems
Diagnosing and Servicing Exhaust Systems
- Apply exhaust system theory, 2-cycle engine.
- Diagnose common equipment problems in a damaged exhaust system, 2-cycle engine.
- Identify exhaust components, 2-cycle engine.
- Apply exhaust system theory, 4-cycle engine.
- Identify cleaning procedures for exhaust ports and spark arrestor screens, 2-cycle engine.