Identify emergency first aid procedures.
DefinitionIdentification includes standard methods of response and treatment for
- cuts resulting in bleeding
- irritated skin
- eye injuries
- fainting or loss of consciousness
- reactions resulting from undisclosed conditions and reactions to medications
- chemical exposure resulting in breathing and other problems.
- What are the contents of a standard first aid kit and where is it located?
- What are the key symptoms of individuals who are experiencing distress?
- What universal precautions should be taken by first aid providers?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will investigate and understand that experiments in which variables are measured, analyzed, and evaluated produce observations and verifiable data. Key concepts include
- designated laboratory techniques;
- safe use of chemicals and equipment;
- proper response to emergency situations;
- manipulation of multiple variables, using repeated trials;
- accurate recording, organization, and analysis of data through repeated trials;
- mathematical and procedural error analysis;
- mathematical manipulations including SI units, scientific notation, linear equations, graphing, ratio and proportion, significant digits, and dimensional analysis;
- use of appropriate technology including computers, graphing calculators, and probeware for gathering data, communicating results, and using simulations to model concepts;
- construction and defense of a scientific viewpoint; and
- the use of current applications to reinforce chemistry concepts.