2019/2020 Competency-Based Task/Competency List for Nail Technician I (8692/36 weeks, 140 hours)
Nail Technician students must satisfy a minimum of 150 hours of instruction to be eligible to take the Board for Barbers and Cosmetology licensing examination. Upon successful completion of the program, students may earn the Virginia Board for Barbers and Cosmetology license. For more information, see Superintendent’s Memo 072-17.
Tasks/competencies when marked as such; they and/or additional tasks/competencies may be taught at the discretion of the school division. All other tasks are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.are considered optional
Demonstrating Personal Qualities and Abilities
Demonstrating Interpersonal Skills
Demonstrating Professional Competencies
- Demonstrate big-picture thinking.
- Demonstrate career- and life-management skills.
- Demonstrate continuous learning and adaptability.
- Manage time and resources.
- Demonstrate information-literacy skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of information security.
- Maintain working knowledge of current information-technology (IT) systems.
- Demonstrate proficiency with technologies, tools, and machines common to a specific occupation.
- Apply mathematical skills to job-specific tasks.
- Demonstrate professionalism.
- Demonstrate reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate workplace safety.
Examining All Aspects of an Industry
- Examine aspects of planning within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of management within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of financial responsibility within an industry/organization.
- Examine technical and production skills required of workers within an industry/organization.
- Examine principles of technology that underlie an industry/organization.
- Examine labor issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine community issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine health, safety, and environmental issues related to an industry/organization.
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
Exploring Work-Based Learning
Demonstrating Safety, Sanitation, and Disease Control
- Identify emergency first aid procedures.
- Comply with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) guidelines.
- Identify the causes, symptoms, and means of prevention of occupational health risks.
- Demonstrate ability to locate and interpret Safety Data Sheets (SDS).
- Follow safety precautions in use and care of tools, equipment, and supplies.
Exhibiting Professionalism and Workplace Ethics
Cleaning and Sanitizing Implements, Equipment, and Facilities
Understanding the Health and Science Concerns of Nail Technology
- Explain the importance of bacteriology in the nail technology profession.
- Describe the main categories of microorganisms.
- Describe the importance of anatomy and physiology as they pertain to nail technology procedures and client safety.
- Identify the parts and composition of the skin.
- Identify nail and skin disorders and diseases commonly encountered by nail technicians.
- Identify nail disorders and how they can be serviced by a nail technician.
- Describe the differences between pseudomonas aeruginosa (commonly known as mold) and fungus.
- Identify the structure and growth of the nail unit.
Managing the Use of Chemicals
- Demonstrate chemical product knowledge.
- Use lacquers.
- Use solvents.
- Use adhesives.
- Use primers.
- Use catalysts.
- Identify problems that could arise from chemical reactions.
- Identify signs and treatment of chemical overexposure.
- Dispose of chemicals according to Safety Data Sheets (SDS).
- Comply with state regulations regarding chemical supplies.