Identify and use proper placement of floor jacks and jack stands.
DefinitionIdentification should include
- following manufacturer recommendations for jack placement
- ensuring the vehicle is on level ground before jacking
- using jacks and jack stands that are rated for the capacity for the vehicle on which the service is to be performed.
- Why should you check for proper jack placement?
- Why should you use jack stands to support a vehicle?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will read and analyze a variety of nonfiction texts.
- Generate and respond logically to literal, inferential, evaluative, synthesizing, and critical-thinking questions before, during, and after reading texts.
- Analyze and synthesize information in order to solve problems, answer questions, and generate new knowledge.
- Analyze two or more texts addressing the same topic to identify authors’ purposes and determine how authors reach similar or different conclusions.
- Recognize and analyze use of ambiguity, contradiction, paradox, irony, overstatement, and understatement in text.
- Identify false premises in persuasive writing.
- Draw conclusions and make inferences about explicit and implied information, using textual support.
History and Social Science
The student will apply social science skills to understand that in a democratic republic, thoughtful and effective participation in civic life is characterized by
- exercising personal character traits such as trustworthiness, responsibility, and honesty;
- obeying the law and paying taxes;
- serving as a juror;
- participating in the political process and voting in local, state, and national elections;
- performing public service;
- keeping informed about current issues;
- respecting differing opinions and the rights of others;
- practicing personal and fiscal responsibility;
- demonstrating the knowledge, skills, and attitudes that foster the responsible and respectful use of digital media; and
- practicing patriotism.
The student will
- determine the slope of a line when given an equation of the line, the graph of the line, or two points on the line;
- write the equation of a line when given the graph of the line, two points on the line, or the slope and a point on the line; and
- graph linear equations in two variables.