Diesel Equipment Technology III (8615/36 weeks, 280 hours) Course Description
|Duration:||36 weeks, 280 hours|
|Suggested Grade Levels:||12|
|Prerequisites:||Diesel Equipment Technology II (8614/36 weeks, 280 hours)|
Sudents receive advanced instruction in the repair of medium- and heavy-duty diesel trucks and equipment. They repair diesel engines, drive trains, brakes, suspension and steering systems, electrical/electronic systems, HVAC systems, and hydraulics systems. Students are also instructed in preventive maintenance and inspection procedures.
Legislation enacted in the 2011 Virginia General Assembly (HB 1493) and amended in 2012 (HB 1108) requires where there is a national industry certification for career and technical education instructional personnel or programs for automotive technology, the Board of Education must make such certification mandatory. The provisions of this act shall become effective July 1, 2013. To comply with the requirements, all Career and Technical Education (CTE) diesel equpment technology programs must be ASE Education Foundation accredited and the instructors must be certified by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE).
As noted in Superintendent’s Memo #058-17 (2-28-2017), this Career and Technical Education (CTE) course must maintain a maximum pupil-to-teacher ratio of 20 students to one teacher, due to safety regulations. The 2016-2018 biennial budget waiver of the teacher-to-pupil ratio staffing requirement does not apply.
Career Clusters and Pathways
For federal reporting (choose one)
- Transportation, Distribution and Logistics
- Facility and Mobile Equipment Maintenance
Upon completion of the course
- ASE Certification Examinations
- ASE Entry-Level Certification Examinations
- College and Work Readiness Assessment (CWRA+)
- Customer Service Examination
- Customer Service Specialist (CSS) Examination
- Mobile Communications and Electronics Installer (MCEI) Examination
- National Career Readiness Certificate Assessment
- Professional Communications Certification Examination
- Workplace Readiness Skills for the Commonwealth Examination
A combination of the course above and those below, equivalent to two 36-week courses. Students wishing to complete a specialization may take additional courses appropriate to their career pathways.
Check the course description for any course listed below, because some may have a prerequisite.