2019/2020 Competency-Based Task/Competency List for Cybersecurity in Manufacturing (8499/36 weeks)
Tasks/competencies when marked as such; they and/or additional tasks/competencies may be taught at the discretion of the school division. All other tasks are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.are considered optional
Demonstrating Personal Qualities and Abilities
Demonstrating Interpersonal Skills
Demonstrating Professional Competencies
- Demonstrate big-picture thinking.
- Demonstrate career- and life-management skills.
- Demonstrate continuous learning and adaptability.
- Manage time and resources.
- Demonstrate information-literacy skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of information security.
- Maintain working knowledge of current information-technology (IT) systems.
- Demonstrate proficiency with technologies, tools, and machines common to a specific occupation.
- Apply mathematical skills to job-specific tasks.
- Demonstrate professionalism.
- Demonstrate reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate workplace safety.
Examining All Aspects of an Industry
- Examine aspects of planning within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of management within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of financial responsibility within an industry/organization.
- Examine technical and production skills required of workers within an industry/organization.
- Examine principles of technology that underlie an industry/organization.
- Examine labor issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine community issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine health, safety, and environmental issues related to an industry/organization.
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
Exploring Work-Based Learning
Understanding Production Processes
- Explain the product-development process.
- Distinguish among materials used in the manufacturing process.
- Describe the engineering design process.
- Explain the effect of automation on the manufacturing processes.
- Use the engineering design process to plan production.
- Differentiate between primary and secondary manufacturing processes.
- Evaluate the production process.
Exploring Automated Tools Related to Manufacturing
- Describe the use of computer-aided design (CAD) in manufacturing.
- Produce a design for three-dimensional (3D) printing.
- Explain CAM.
- Explain a programmable logic controller (PLC).
- Explain a microcontroller.
- Differentiate between open and closed loops in control systems.
- Develop a control system, based on given needs and constraints.
Exploring the Evolution of Manufacturing
- Describe cybersecurity.
- Describe the critical factors of information security.
- Explain cybersecurity services as they relate to cyber incident prevention.
- Distinguish among types of ethical concerns in cybersecurity.
- Identify laws/regulations applicable to cybersecurity.
- Differentiate between ethics and laws.
- Identify concepts related to copyright, public domain, copy protection, intellectual property, and licensing agreements.
Exploring Vulnerabilities, Risks, and Threats in Manufacturing Systems
- Define risk.
- Analyze risks affecting the 16 critical infrastructure sectors.
- Describe the characteristics of vulnerabilities.
- Describe the cybersecurity threats to a manufacturing system.
- Describe the cyberattack surface of the standard equipment that connects the manufacturing system and the enterprise’s integrated IT system.
- Describe the cyberattack surface of manufacturing systems.
- Describe the cyberattack surface of the manufacturing supply chain.
Managing Risks in Manufacturing
- Explain why the manufacturing sector needs to manage cyber risk.
- Explain the importance of creating and enforcing plans, policies, and procedures to manage risk.
- Identify the concepts of cybersecurity risk management.
- Identify prevention of and protection systems against cyber threats in manufacturing.
- Identify prevention of and protections against threats throughout each stage of the manufacturing process.
- Explain the importance of physical security controls.
- Describe appropriate incident response procedures.
Practicing Safety in Manufacturing
Establishing a Manufacturing Enterprise
- Identify current laws and regulations affecting the establishment and operation of manufacturing businesses.
- Plan a product.
- Identify a business team for product development.
- Design a product using CAD.
- Design the process for product creation using automation.
- Identify trade secrets and proprietary information of a manufacturing enterprise.
- Identify the prevention of and protections against cyber threats for a manufacturing enterprise.
- Secure the product using cybersecurity best practices.
- Create product.