2018/2019 Competency-Based Task/Competency List for Engineering Explorations I (8450/36 weeks)
All tasks are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.
Demonstrating Workplace Readiness Skills: Personal Qualities and People Skills
Demonstrating Workplace Readiness Skills: Professional Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrate effective speaking and listening skills.
- Demonstrate effective reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate critical-thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrate healthy behaviors and safety skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of workplace organizations, systems, and climates.
- Demonstrate lifelong-learning skills.
- Demonstrate job-acquisition and advancement skills.
- Demonstrate time-, task-, and resource-management skills.
- Demonstrate job-specific mathematics skills.
- Demonstrate customer-service skills.
Demonstrating Workplace Readiness Skills: Technology Knowledge and Skills
Examining All Aspects of an Industry
- Examine aspects of planning within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of management within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of financial responsibility within an industry/organization.
- Examine technical and production skills required of workers within an industry/organization.
- Examine principles of technology that underlie an industry/organization.
- Examine labor issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine community issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine health, safety, and environmental issues related to an industry/organization.
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
Examining How Technology Affects Our World
Investigating How Engineering Affects Our World
Examining the Engineering Practice
- Describe the principal fields for specialization in engineering.
- Summarize the traits of successful professional engineers.
- Describe the education needed for specialty fields in engineering and technology.
- Explain the importance of communication between engineers and their clients.
- Explain the relevance of the National Society of Professional Engineers Code of Ethics.
- Comply with safety rules in laboratory activities.
Practicing Engineering Fundamentals
- Identify the benefits of case study analysis.
- Analyze a case study analysis.
- Apply measuring skills using instrumentation.
- Demonstrate conversion techniques for units of measurement.
- Demonstrate the use of engineering design graphics and descriptive geometry.
- Apply the techniques and benefits of sketching.
- Draw orthographic and isometric projections, using basic technical drawing instruments.
- Explain rapid prototyping to develop models.
- Demonstrate research techniques/strategies used by engineers.
- Define risk and safety.
- Describe the three types of accidents.
- Identify major precursors of accidents.
- Evaluate the safety of designs.
- Demonstrate knowledge of appropriate personal safety procedures.
Examining the Engineering Design Process
- Define an engineering design process.
- Define an engineering design problem.
- Identify the requirements and constraints of the design problem.
- Research potential solutions to the design problem.
- Generate multiple solutions to the design problem.
- Sketch the solutions to a design problem.
- Evaluate the requirements and constraints of each potential solution to the design problem.
- Justify an optimal solution to the design problem.
- Create a model or prototype for the chosen solution.
- Test the solution to the design problem.
- Evaluate the test results.
- Modify the solution to the design problem, if needed.
- Test the modification/alternate solution, if needed.
- Document the final project report.
- Present the final project report.