Examine health, safety, and environmental issues related to an industry/organization.
DefinitionExamination should include
- responsibility for workers’ health and safety
- laws/regulations and practices affecting workers’ health and safety
- health and safety hazards
- health and safety programs
- responsibility for the environment
- laws/regulations and practices affecting the impact on the environment
- sustainability initiatives.
- What environmental concerns should an industry address?
- What environmentally-friendly practices and resources are available to an industry?
- What methods can be used to motivate employees to become involved in effective health, safety, and environmental practices?
- What forewarnings and preventive measures are available to lessen the likelihood or impact of emergencies such as personal illness or injury, tornadoes, fires, nuclear accidents, floods, and incidences of employee rage or violent behavior?
Related Standards of Learning
History and Social Science
The student will apply social science skills to understand that in a democratic republic, thoughtful and effective participation in civic life is characterized by
- exercising personal character traits such as trustworthiness, responsibility, and honesty;
- obeying the law and paying taxes;
- serving as a juror;
- participating in the political process and voting in local, state, and national elections;
- performing public service;
- keeping informed about current issues;
- respecting differing opinions and the rights of others;
- practicing personal and fiscal responsibility;
- demonstrating the knowledge, skills, and attitudes that foster the responsible and respectful use of digital media; and
- practicing patriotism.