Calculate lengths, distances, and areas in GIS.
DefinitionCalculation may include road segments, acreage, and distance between locations.
- How can the area of a polygon be calculated?
- How can the length of a line be calculated?
Related Standards of Learning
History and Social Science
The student will demonstrate skills for historical thinking, geographical analysis, economic decision making, and responsible citizenship by
- synthesizing evidence from artifacts and primary and secondary sources to obtain information about the world’s countries, cities, and environments;
- using geographic information to determine patterns and trends to understand world regions;
- creating, comparing, and interpreting maps, charts, graphs, and pictures to determine characteristics of world regions;
- evaluating sources for accuracy, credibility, bias, and propaganda;
- using maps and other visual images to compare and contrast historical, cultural, economic, and political perspectives;
- explaining indirect cause-and-effect relationships to understand geospatial connections;
- analyzing multiple connections across time and place;
- using a decision-making model to analyze and explain the incentives for and consequences of a specific choice made;
- identifying the rights and responsibilities of citizenship and the ethical use of material or intellectual property; and
- investigating and researching to develop products orally and in writing.