Create geographic subsets of shapefiles and attribute tables.
DefinitionCreation should include
- using spatial selection tools
- querying by location or attribute
- using appropriate processing tools.
- How can selected locations be manipulated using available tools?
- How can spatial locations be selected using available tools?
Related Standards of Learning
History and Social Science
The student will demonstrate skills for historical thinking, geographical analysis, economic decision making, and responsible citizenship by
- synthesizing evidence from artifacts and primary and secondary sources to obtain information about the world’s countries, cities, and environments;
- using geographic information to determine patterns and trends to understand world regions;
- creating, comparing, and interpreting maps, charts, graphs, and pictures to determine characteristics of world regions;
- evaluating sources for accuracy, credibility, bias, and propaganda;
- using maps and other visual images to compare and contrast historical, cultural, economic, and political perspectives;
- explaining indirect cause-and-effect relationships to understand geospatial connections;
- analyzing multiple connections across time and place;
- using a decision-making model to analyze and explain the incentives for and consequences of a specific choice made;
- identifying the rights and responsibilities of citizenship and the ethical use of material or intellectual property; and
- investigating and researching to develop products orally and in writing.
The student will analyze how physical and ecological processes shape Earth’s surface by
- explaining regional climatic patterns and weather phenomena and their effects on people and places;
- describing how humans influence the environment and are influenced by it; and
- explaining how technology affects one's ability to modify the environment and adapt to it.
The student will apply social science skills to evaluate the significance of natural, human, and capital resources by
- comparing the distribution of major natural resources throughout world regions;
- showing the influence of resources on patterns of economic activity and land use; and
- evaluating perspectives regarding the use of resources.