Describe a circuit as a system.
DefinitionDescription should include identifying
- open, closed, and short circuits
- the fundamental components of a circuit (voltage source, switch, load, connecting wires).
- What are the characteristics of a system?
- What might cause a short circuit?
- Why are switches used?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will investigate and understand that energy can be transferred and transformed to provide usable work. Key concepts include
- transfer and storage of energy among systems, including mechanical, thermal, gravitational, electromagnetic, chemical, and nuclear systems; and
- efficiency of systems.
The student will investigate and understand how to diagram, construct, and analyze basic electrical circuits and explain the function of various circuit components. Key concepts include
- Ohm’s law;
- series, parallel, and combined circuits;
- electrical power; and
- alternating and direct currents.