Measure energy output of a renewable energy source using proper instruments.
DefinitionMeasurement should include use of a multimeter to determine energy output of sources such as
- photovoltaic array
- wind turbine
- fuel cell.
- What is the most energy efficient renewable energy source? Why?
- How has the efficiency of renewable energy sources changed over time?
- How is it possible to determine the electrical load of a device to be powered?
- Why is the output of a device variable?
- How are voltage, current, and resistance measured with a multimeter?
- What measurements can determine the efficiency or level of performance of a fuel cell, a photovoltaic array, or a wind turbine?
- What variables should be controlled when making measurements on energy transforming systems?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will
- represent verbal quantitative situations algebraically; and
- evaluate algebraic expressions for given replacement values of the variables.
The student will simplify
- square roots of whole numbers and monomial algebraic expressions;
- cube roots of integers; and
- numerical expressions containing square or cube roots.
The student will investigate and understand that energy can be transferred and transformed to provide usable work. Key concepts include
- transfer and storage of energy among systems, including mechanical, thermal, gravitational, electromagnetic, chemical, and nuclear systems; and
- efficiency of systems.