Develop combinational and sequential logic circuits for an application.
DefinitionDevelopment should be done for an application such as ladder diagram circuits for programmable logic controllers (PLCs).
Development should also include construction of a digital solution to a practical circuit problem by
- defining the problem
- conceptualizing the solution
- selecting the integrated circuit
- acquiring the components
- assembling the circuit.
- How are digital design solutions defined?
- What are the constraints to design?
- How are circuit outcomes determined?
- What processes, materials, and research are required to develop a solution?
- How can mathematical and computer simulations assist in developing a solution to the problem?
- What are the ethical and societal effects of circuit development?
- How does a ladder diagram behave differently from a hard-wired control circuit?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will design and apply computer programs to solve practical problems in mathematics arising from business and applications in mathematics.
The student will design, write, document, test, and debug, a computer program.
The student will translate mathematical expressions into programming expressions by declaring variables, writing assignment statements, and using the order of operations.
The student will describe and apply sorting algorithms and coding algorithms used in sorting, processing, and communicating information.
The student will use deductive reasoning to construct and judge the validity of a logical argument consisting of a set of premises and a conclusion. This will include
- identifying the converse, inverse, and contrapositive of a conditional statement;
- translating a short verbal argument into symbolic form; and
- determining the validity of a logical argument.
Other Related Standards
Common Career Technical Core
Use STEM concepts and processes to solve problems involving design and/or production.
Apply the elements of the design process.
Apply the knowledge learned in STEM to solve problems.
Demonstrate technical skills needed in a chosen STEM field.