Distinguish among internal ballistics, external ballistics, and terminal ballistics.
DefinitionDistinction should be made among
- internal ballistics—the behavior of the bullet and cartridge case inside the barrel
- external ballistics—the flight of the projectile through the air and the forces that act upon it
- terminal ballistics—the action of the projectile on the target.
- How does rifling affect the bullet and the cartridge case?
- What is the effect of using the wrong-sized ammunition in a weapon of a certain caliber?
- What are the forces that act on a projectile when it leaves the weapon?
- What is the normal path of flight for a projectile?
- When a projectile encounters living tissue, what are the typical patterns seen in bone? In soft tissue?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will investigate and understand the interrelationships among mass, distance, force, and time through mathematical and experimental processes. Key concepts include
- linear motion;
- uniform circular motion;
- projectile motion;
- Newton’s laws of motion;
- planetary motion; and
- work, power, and energy.