List the conditions necessary to initiate and sustain combustion.
DefinitionList should include the presence of
- fuel (multiple types)
- What are the four phases of fire progression?
- What role does speed play in the reaction between fuel and oxygen?
- What is the ignition source?
- What is smoldering?
- What is combustion?
- What are hydrocarbons, and what is their relationship to fire?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will investigate and understand how conservation of energy and matter is expressed in chemical formulas and balanced equations. Key concepts include
- balancing chemical equations;
- writing chemical formulas;
- bonding types;
- reaction types; and
- reaction rates, kinetics and equilibrium.
The student will investigate and understand that energy can be transferred and transformed to provide usable work. Key concepts include
- transfer and storage of energy among systems, including mechanical, thermal, gravitational, electromagnetic, chemical, and nuclear systems; and
- efficiency of systems.