Describe the stages of insect metamorphosis in estimating time of death.
DefinitionDescription should include the metamorphic stages and an example of the succession of different insects that are found on a body as it decomposes.
- What environmental factors can affect insect development?
- How does the collection of insects from a crime scene help investigators more accurately determine a time of death?
- What additional training or education is needed to become a forensic entomologist?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will investigate and understand life functions of Archaea, Bacteria, and Eukarya. Key concepts include
- comparison of their metabolic activities;
- maintenance of homeostasis;
- how the structures and functions vary among and within the Eukarya kingdoms of protists, fungi, plants, and animals, including humans;
- human health issues, human anatomy, and body systems;
- how viruses compare with organisms; and
- evidence supporting the germ theory of infectious disease.