Differentiate between a male skeleton and a female skeleton.
DefinitionDifferentiation should focus on the following:
- Pelvis—wider in females
- Skull—jaw is rounder in females, squarer in males; males also have a larger mastoid process, temporal line, supra-orbital border, and the nuchal crest is rough and bumpy
- Long bones—longer in males
- Why are the bones of the skull and pelvis so significant in determining whether a skeleton is male or female?
- What kinds of physical activity can affect the appearance of bones of the body?
- Why are male bones more rough and bumpy?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will investigate and understand life functions of Archaea, Bacteria, and Eukarya. Key concepts include
- comparison of their metabolic activities;
- maintenance of homeostasis;
- how the structures and functions vary among and within the Eukarya kingdoms of protists, fungi, plants, and animals, including humans;
- human health issues, human anatomy, and body systems;
- how viruses compare with organisms; and
- evidence supporting the germ theory of infectious disease.