Describe how a crime scene is investigated.
DefinitionDescription should include
- duties of the first officer on the scene
- importance of witness separation
- importance of preventing contamination of the crime scene
- documentation of the scene (e.g., sketches, photographs, notes)
- types of search patterns
- collection and preservation of evidence.
Description could also include simulation using a mock crime scene.
- What is the procedure for securing a crime scene?
- What types of evidence are collected from a crime scene?
- Why is chain of custody important in the collection of evidence?
- What are the main search patterns used by crime scene investigators?
- What would happen if evidence were collected but not documented within the crime scene?