Explain compatibility testing of blood.
DefinitionExplanation should include ABO and Rh typing and screening for unexpected antibodies and cross-matching.
- Why is it important for immunohematology or transfusion service to verify the blood type of each donor?
- What is meant by compatibility of blood types? Which blood types are compatible with other blood types?
- Are any blood types incompatible with all other types? Why is this important?
- How does the issue of compatibility affect the relative amount of blood in each type that is typically sought and stored by immunohematology or transfusion service?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will read, interpret, analyze, and evaluate a variety of nonfiction texts.
- Use critical thinking to generate and respond logically to literal, inferential, and evaluative questions about the text(s).
- Identify and synthesize resources to make decisions, complete tasks, and solve specific problems.
- Analyze multiple texts addressing the same topic to determine how authors reach similar or different conclusions.
- Recognize and analyze use of ambiguity, contradiction, paradox, irony, overstatement, and understatement in text.
- Analyze false premises claims, counterclaims, and other evidence in persuasive writing.