Perform an enzyme immunoassay.
DefinitionPerformance should include
- reagent preparation
- equipment preparation
- completion of testing sequence.
- What is the purpose of the chromogen or substrate?
- What is the purpose of the wash step?
- What is a false positive result?
- What is the purpose of using positive and negative controls?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will demonstrate an understanding of scientific reasoning, logic, and the nature of science by planning and conducting investigations in which
- observations of living organisms are recorded in the lab and in the field;
- hypotheses are formulated based on direct observations and information from scientific literature;
- variables are defined and investigations are designed to test hypotheses;
- graphing and arithmetic calculations are used as tools in data analysis;
- conclusions are formed based on recorded quantitative and qualitative data;
- sources of error inherent in experimental design are identified and discussed;
- validity of data is determined;
- chemicals and equipment are used in a safe manner;
- appropriate technology including computers, graphing calculators, and probeware is used for gathering and analyzing data, communicating results, modeling concepts, and simulating experimental conditions;
- research utilizes scientific literature;
- differentiation is made among a scientific hypothesis, theory, and law;
- alternative scientific explanations and models are recognized and analyzed; and
- current applications of biological concepts are used.
The student will investigate and understand the chemical and biochemical principles essential for life. Key concepts include
- water chemistry and its impact on life processes;
- the structure and function of macromolecules;
- the nature of enzymes; and
- the capture, storage, transformation, and flow of energy through the processes of photosynthesis and respiration.