Describe employment-related tests and background checks in the medical laboratory technology field.
DefinitionDescription of employment-related tests and background checks in the medical technology field should include the types of tests and checks (e.g., certification tests, drug tests, background checks, laboratory competency tests) and their purposes (e.g., validation of professional competence, detection of substance abuse, scrutiny of background for barrier crimes and other undesirable behavior). It should also describe the concept of barrier crimes and the reasons barrier crime checks are required by law in the healthcare field.
- How is drug testing used to screen potential and current employees? Why are drug tests administered to potential medical laboratory personnel?
- Can potential biomedical employees legally be screened for past and/or present medical conditions? Why, or why not?
- How are healthcare patients protected by pre-employment tests for professional competency? By pre-employment background checks for barrier crimes?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will read, interpret, analyze, and evaluate a variety of nonfiction texts.
- Use critical thinking to generate and respond logically to literal, inferential, and evaluative questions about the text(s).
- Identify and synthesize resources to make decisions, complete tasks, and solve specific problems.
- Analyze multiple texts addressing the same topic to determine how authors reach similar or different conclusions.
- Recognize and analyze use of ambiguity, contradiction, paradox, irony, overstatement, and understatement in text.
- Analyze false premises claims, counterclaims, and other evidence in persuasive writing.
History and Social Science
The student will apply social science skills to understand the concepts of democracy by
- recognizing the fundamental worth and dignity of the individual;
- recognizing the equality of all citizens under the law;
- recognizing what defines a citizen and how noncitizens can become citizens;
- recognizing majority rule and minority rights;
- recognizing the necessity of compromise; and
- recognizing the freedom of the individual.