Demonstrate the importance of confidentiality in the medical laboratory technology field.
DefinitionDemonstration should include
- the concept of personal privacy
- the importance of understanding and preventing job, health insurance, and social discrimination
- the significance of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), as related to the field of medical laboratory technology.
- situation analysis
- case studies.
- How could knowledge of a person's genetic information be misused to affect his or her employment? Health insurance eligibility?
- What legal rights do U.S. citizens have regarding confidentiality of their genetic information? Of their healthcare records in general?
- How does HIPAA affect medical laboratory technology personnel and patient records?
Related Standards of Learning
History and Social Science
The student will apply social science skills to understand the concepts of democracy by
- recognizing the fundamental worth and dignity of the individual;
- recognizing the equality of all citizens under the law;
- recognizing what defines a citizen and how noncitizens can become citizens;
- recognizing majority rule and minority rights;
- recognizing the necessity of compromise; and
- recognizing the freedom of the individual.
Other Related Standards
Common Career Technical Core
Analyze the legal and ethical responsibilities, limitations and implications of actions within the healthcare workplace
Evaluate accepted ethical practices with respect to cultural, social and ethnic differences within the healthcare workplace.