Explain the use of prothrombin time (PT) and activated partial thromboplastin time (APTT) testing.
DefinitionExplanation should include the uses of prothrombin time, activated partial thromboplastin time, and international normalized ratio (INR) testing for monitoring anticoagulation (e.g., warfarin and heparin) therapy.
- What is the difference between intrinsic and extrinsic pathways?
- What are the two main drug therapies for coagulation disorders?
- Which pathway is monitored by PT testing? APTT testing?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will read, interpret, analyze, and evaluate a variety of nonfiction texts.
- Use critical thinking to generate and respond logically to literal, inferential, and evaluative questions about the text(s).
- Identify and synthesize resources to make decisions, complete tasks, and solve specific problems.
- Analyze multiple texts addressing the same topic to determine how authors reach similar or different conclusions.
- Recognize and analyze use of ambiguity, contradiction, paradox, irony, overstatement, and understatement in text.
- Analyze false premises claims, counterclaims, and other evidence in persuasive writing.