Explain the concepts of hemostasis/coagulation.
DefinitionExplanation should include the
- role of platelets
- five major steps of the mechanism of coagulation
- intrinsic pathway
- extrinsic pathway
- role of the coagulation factors.
- Why are platelets considered primary in the coagulation process?
- How does a breach in the integrity of the vein trigger the coagulation process?
- How does fibrinogen turn into fibrin?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will read, interpret, analyze, and evaluate a variety of nonfiction texts.
- Use critical thinking to generate and respond logically to literal, inferential, and evaluative questions about the text(s).
- Identify and synthesize resources to make decisions, complete tasks, and solve specific problems.
- Analyze multiple texts addressing the same topic to determine how authors reach similar or different conclusions.
- Recognize and analyze use of ambiguity, contradiction, paradox, irony, overstatement, and understatement in text.
- Analyze false premises claims, counterclaims, and other evidence in persuasive writing.