Interpret basic medical laboratory terminology related to hemostasis/coagulation.
DefinitionInterpretation should include terminology such as
- ionized calcium
- anticoagulant (e.g., Coumadin).
- Which clotting factor is absent in hemophilia?
- What is the function of plasmin?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will apply knowledge of word origins, derivations, and figurative language to extend vocabulary development in authentic texts.
- Use structural analysis of roots, affixes, synonyms, and antonyms, to understand complex words.
- Use context, structure, and connotations to determine meanings of words and phrases.
- Discriminate between connotative and denotative meanings and interpret the connotation.
- Explain the meaning of common idioms, and literary and classical allusions in text.
- Extend general and cross-curricular vocabulary through speaking, listening, reading, and writing.