Explain the concept of a pure and/or isolative culture.
DefinitionExplanation should include the concept that a pure and/or isolative culture contains a single kind of microorganism, without contaminants. It should also include commentary on the importance of purity in laboratory cultures.
- What is the purpose of a pure culture?
- What is the process for obtaining a pure and/or isolative culture?
- Why must one use a pure and/or isolative culture in biomedical laboratory work?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will read, interpret, analyze, and evaluate a variety of nonfiction texts.
- Use critical thinking to generate and respond logically to literal, inferential, and evaluative questions about the text(s).
- Identify and synthesize resources to make decisions, complete tasks, and solve specific problems.
- Analyze multiple texts addressing the same topic to determine how authors reach similar or different conclusions.
- Recognize and analyze use of ambiguity, contradiction, paradox, irony, overstatement, and understatement in text.
- Analyze false premises claims, counterclaims, and other evidence in persuasive writing.