Medical Laboratory Technology II (8378/36 weeks) Course Description
|Suggested Grade Levels:||12|
|Prerequisites:||Medical Laboratory Technology I (8377/36 weeks)|
Students will build on the foundational knowledge and skills obtained in Medical Laboratory Technology I. The students will use the basic principles necessary to perform competently in the areas of Hematology, Clinical Chemistry, Clinical Microbiology, Immunohematology, and Immunology/Serology. Competency includes performing the technique correctly, understanding the theory of the procedures, and interpreting the results. Weekly laboratory activities will stress actual student performance of the routine tests normally seen in the clinical setting.
NOTE: This course has specific state laws and regulations from a governing medical board or agency. Please contact the Virginia Department of Education, Office of Career and Technical Education prior to implementing this course. All inquiries may be sent to email@example.com.
Career Clusters and Pathways
For federal reporting (choose one)
- Health Science
- Biotechnology Research and Development
- Diagnostics Services
- Health Informatics
- Therapeutic Services
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
- Science and Mathematics
Upon completion of the course
- Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT) Examination (AAH)
- Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT) Examination (NHA)
- College and Work Readiness Assessment (CWRA+)
- National Career Readiness Certificate Assessment
- National Certified Phlebotomy Technician (NCPT) Examination
- Nationally Registered Certified Phlebotomy Technician (NRCPT) Examination
- Phlebotomy Technician Certification (PTC) Examination
- Workplace Readiness Skills for the Commonwealth Examination
A combination of the course above and those below, equivalent to two 36-week courses. Students wishing to complete a specialization may take additional courses appropriate to their career pathways.
Check the course description for any course listed below, because some may have a prerequisite.