Demonstrate proper body mechanics and patient transfer.
Demonstration should reflect proper body mechanics in the handling of patients and equipment and in-patient transfer (e.g., wheelchair to table, stretcher to table), and include the following back protection precautions:
- Keep feet shoulder-width apart.
- Keep knees properly bent.
- Use appropriate body mechanics per procedure.
- Use appropriate equipment (e.g., specialty lifts, draw sheets, transfer boards or sliders).
- Seek help when necessary.
- What can result from improper body mechanics?
- How can the radiologic technologist recognize that the physical task at hand is too much for one person to handle?
- How can the radiologic technologist assess which equipment is best for patient transfer and which equipment is best for other situations typically encountered in patient imaging?