Explain the use of opioids in practice settings, the role of opioids in pain management, and risk factors associated with the use of the medication.
Explanation should include
- appropriate use of different opioids in various practice settings
- the interactions, risks, and intolerance of prescription opioids
- the role and effectiveness of opioids in acute, sub-acute, and chronic pain
- a reassessment of opioid use based on stage of pain
- contemporary treatment guidelines, best practices, health policies, and government regulations related to opioid use
- use of opioids in pain management of patients with substance abuse disorders, in recovery, and in palliative/end-of-life care.
- When should risk factors regarding opioids be reviewed with the patient?
- What are the options when treating patients with a history of substance abuse?
- What government regulations and policies are in place to improve the safe administration of opioids?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will read, interpret, analyze, and evaluate a variety of nonfiction texts.
- Use critical thinking to generate and respond logically to literal, inferential, and evaluative questions about the text(s).
- Identify and synthesize resources to make decisions, complete tasks, and solve specific problems.
- Analyze multiple texts addressing the same topic to determine how authors reach similar or different conclusions.
- Recognize and analyze use of ambiguity, contradiction, paradox, irony, overstatement, and understatement in text.
- Analyze false premises claims, counterclaims, and other evidence in persuasive writing.