Explain the purpose of the radiation-protection features of fluoroscopic and radiographic imaging equipment and the protective equipment used in the imaging area.
DefinitionExplanation should include
- dead-man switch
- leaded curtain
- glass shield (i.e., primary and secondary barrier)
- five-minute timer with audible warning system
- personal protective equipment (PPE), such as lead gloves, aprons, thyroid shields, and glasses.
- Why is radiation-protection equipment necessary?
- What are some examples of personal protective equipment and their purposes?
- What is a collimator? How does it work?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will read, interpret, analyze, and evaluate a variety of nonfiction texts.
- Use critical thinking to generate and respond logically to literal, inferential, and evaluative questions about the text(s).
- Identify and synthesize resources to make decisions, complete tasks, and solve specific problems.
- Analyze multiple texts addressing the same topic to determine how authors reach similar or different conclusions.
- Recognize and analyze use of ambiguity, contradiction, paradox, irony, overstatement, and understatement in text.
- Analyze false premises claims, counterclaims, and other evidence in persuasive writing.
Other Related Standards
Common Career Technical Core
Identify existing and potential hazards to clients, coworkers, visitors, and self in the healthcare workplace.