Evaluate chemical and physical asepsis techniques.
DefinitionEvaluation should include chemical techniques (e.g., antibacterial cleansers and antiseptic cleansers) and physical techniques (e.g., washing hands frequently, covering the mouth when coughing, covering open wounds, wearing a mask and gloves).
- When are masks most effective?
- Does length of time matter when washing hands?
- What is the difference between an antiseptic and an antibacterial cleanser? What are the appropriate uses of each?
- Why should standard precautions be strictly followed?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will investigate and understand relationships between cell structure and function. Key concepts include
- evidence supporting the cell theory;
- characteristics of prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells;
- similarities between the activities of the organelles in a single cell and a whole organism;
- the cell membrane model; and
- the impact of surface area to volume ratio on cell division, material transport, and other life processes.
Other Related Standards
Common Career Technical Core
Identify existing and potential hazards to clients, coworkers, visitors, and self in the healthcare workplace.