Summarize cell theory of human biology.
DefinitionSummary should include the following basic tenets:
- All living things are made up of cells.
- The cell is the structural and functional unit of all living things.
- All cells come from pre-existing cells by division.
- Cells contain hereditary information that is passed from cell to cell during cell division.
- All cells have essentially the same chemical composition.
- All energy flow (metabolism and biochemistry) of life occurs within cells.
- What is the structure of a human cell?
- What are the functions of a human cell?
- How are human cells different from plant and other animal cells?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will investigate and understand relationships between cell structure and function. Key concepts include
- evidence supporting the cell theory;
- characteristics of prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells;
- similarities between the activities of the organelles in a single cell and a whole organism;
- the cell membrane model; and
- the impact of surface area to volume ratio on cell division, material transport, and other life processes.