2019/2020 Competency-Based Task/Competency List for Respiratory Therapy I (8372/36 weeks)
Tasks/competencies when marked as such; they and/or additional tasks/competencies may be taught at the discretion of the school division. All other tasks are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.are considered optional
Demonstrating Personal Qualities and Abilities
Demonstrating Interpersonal Skills
Demonstrating Professional Competencies
- Demonstrate big-picture thinking.
- Demonstrate career- and life-management skills.
- Demonstrate continuous learning and adaptability.
- Manage time and resources.
- Demonstrate information-literacy skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of information security.
- Maintain working knowledge of current information-technology (IT) systems.
- Demonstrate proficiency with technologies, tools, and machines common to a specific occupation.
- Apply mathematical skills to job-specific tasks.
- Demonstrate professionalism.
- Demonstrate reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate workplace safety.
Examining All Aspects of an Industry
- Examine aspects of planning within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of management within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of financial responsibility within an industry/organization.
- Examine technical and production skills required of workers within an industry/organization.
- Examine principles of technology that underlie an industry/organization.
- Examine labor issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine community issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine health, safety, and environmental issues related to an industry/organization.
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
Exploring Work-Based Learning
Exploring the World of Respiratory Therapy
- Explain the roles and responsibilities of a respiratory therapist.
- Describe the potential career paths for respiratory therapists.
- Identify the types of healthcare facilities that may employ respiratory therapists.
- List the functional requirements for employment as a respiratory therapist.
- Describe professional organizations and credentialing in the field of respiratory therapy.
- Trace the historical development of respiratory therapy, including the contributions of important figures in the field.
- Identify the various modalities in respiratory care.
Providing Basic Patient Care
Evaluating Baseline Data
- Describe history taking.
- List data in the patient record that pertains to a respiratory therapist’s assessment of a patient.
- Assess a patient’s overall cardiopulmonary status by inspection.
- Assess a patient’s overall cardiopulmonary status by palpation.
- Assess a patient’s overall cardiopulmonary status by percussion.
- Assess a patient’s overall cardiopulmonary status by auscultation.
Understanding Respiratory Therapy Equipment and Safety
Developing Effective Communication and Patient Care Skills
- Adapt communication and patient skill techniques for diverse populations.
- Describe the essentials for patient/respiratory therapist interaction.
- Describe the essentials for interactions among the multidisciplinary healthcare team.
- Perform patient-related and administrative documentation.
- Demonstrate Standard Precautions and transmission-based precautions as prescribed by health and regulatory agencies.
- Demonstrate proper body mechanics and patient transfer.
Using Medical Terminology
Understanding Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Identify the basic structural levels of body organization, anatomical structure, and body cavities.
- Identify chemical components of the body.
- Identify structures and functions of the cell.
- Identify structures and functions of tissues, membranes, and glands.
- Identify structures and functions of the integumentary system.
- Identify structures and functions of the skeletal system.
- Identify structures and functions of the muscular system.
- Identify structures and functions of the cardiovascular system.
- Identify structures and functions of the respiratory system.
- Identify structures and functions of the nervous system.
- Identify structures and functions of the urinary system.
- Identify structures and functions of the male and female reproductive systems.
- Identify structures and functions of the lymphatic system, including the concept of immunity.
- Identify structures and functions of the gastrointestinal system.
- Identify structures and functions of the endocrine system.
- Identify structures and functions of the sensory system.
Applying Critical Thinking and Problem-Solving in the Healthcare Setting
- Identify the qualities of a critical thinker.
- Demonstrate basic critical thinking skills.
- Apply critical-thinking skills to healthcare situations, with emphasis on respiratory therapy.
- Identify the steps in the problem-solving process.
- Apply the problem-solving process to the healthcare setting, with emphasis on respiratory therapy.
Applying Legal, Ethical, and Professional Responsibilities to Clinical Practice
- Describe the organization and operation of a respiratory therapy department.
- Explain the importance of HIPAA.
- Explain legalities governing respiratory therapy practice.
- Explain ethical issues related to respiratory therapy practice.
- Describe the influence of various government agencies on the delivery of health care.
- Research career opportunities and the education, credentials, and responsibilities associated with each.