Identify methods of developing good relationships with a client and a client's family.
DefinitionIdentification should include
- impact of good communications on relationships
- importance of maintaining a professional attitude and behavior (e.g., respecting a client’s privacy)
- methods to make communication more accurate
- importance of maintaining emotional self-control
- importance of providing positive feedback
- importance of establishing appropriate expectations for the role of a home health aide
- steps for addressing interpersonal problems between a home health aide, a client, and/or a client’s family.
- What might be the consequences of not developing good relations with a client? With a client’s family members?
- What are some methods of maintaining emotional self-control when caring for a client who displays abusive behavior? When faced with a family member who displays abusive behavior?
- What are strategies for developing good relationships with a client? With a client’s family members?
- What are some strategies to address specific communication deficits?
Related Standards of Learning
History and Social Science
The student will apply social science skills to understand that in a democratic republic, thoughtful and effective participation in civic life is characterized by
- exercising personal character traits such as trustworthiness, responsibility, and honesty;
- obeying the law and paying taxes;
- serving as a juror;
- participating in the political process and voting in local, state, and national elections;
- performing public service;
- keeping informed about current issues;
- respecting differing opinions and the rights of others;
- practicing personal and fiscal responsibility;
- demonstrating the knowledge, skills, and attitudes that foster the responsible and respectful use of digital media; and
- practicing patriotism.