Explain client confidentiality and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).
DefinitionExplanation should include
- the importance of maintaining information about a client confidential
- reasons that confidentiality is both an ethical and a legal issue
- HIPAA regulations.
- Why is confidentiality so important in the field of health care?
- What would be the consequences of not following HIPAA regulations?
- What is an example of a violation of confidentiality?
Related Standards of Learning
History and Social Science
The student will demonstrate skills for historical thinking, geographical analysis, economic decision making, and responsible citizenship by
- synthesizing evidence from artifacts and primary and secondary sources to obtain information about events in Virginia and United States history;
- using geographic information to determine patterns and trends in Virginia and United States history;
- interpreting charts, graphs, and pictures to determine characteristics of people, places, or events in Virginia and United States history;
- constructing arguments, using evidence from multiple sources;
- comparing and contrasting historical, cultural, economic, and political perspectives in Virginia and United States history;
- explaining how indirect cause-and-effect relationships impact people, places, and events in Virginia and United States history;
- analyzing multiple connections across time and place;
- using a decision-making model to analyze and explain the incentives for and consequences of a specific choice made;
- identifying the rights and responsibilities of citizenship and ethical use of material and intellectual property; and
- investigating and researching to develop products orally and in writing.