Support client/resident/patient with physical and psychological independence. (As required by the Virginia Board of Nursing regulation)
Support should include
- assisting client/resident/patient self care according to his/her abilities as directed by supervisor
- allowing client/resident/patient to make decisions regarding his/her care within the scope of his/her abilities.
- In what ways do you encourage the client/resident/patient in maximum self care?
- What can you do to give the client/resident/patient the opportunity to make as many decisions as possible for himself/herself?
- What are the benefits to the client/resident/patient and yourself when the client/resident/patient maintains as much independence as possible?
- What criteria do you use to determine activities of daily living (ADLs) allowed for the client/resident/patient?
Related Standards of Learning
History and Social Science
The student will apply social science skills to understand the concepts of democracy by
- recognizing the fundamental worth and dignity of the individual;
- recognizing the equality of all citizens under the law;
- recognizing what defines a citizen and how noncitizens can become citizens;
- recognizing majority rule and minority rights;
- recognizing the necessity of compromise; and
- recognizing the freedom of the individual.