Define simple medical terminology.
DefinitionDefinition should include identification of basic word building parts (prefixes, suffixes, and word roots) and their meanings and common abbreviations.
- Why is it important to understand medical terms and abbreviations?
- What are some potential consequences of not understanding basic medical terminology?
- What are some words, terms, or abbreviations that are easily confused? How can you avoid this confusion?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will apply knowledge of word origins, derivations, and figurative language to extend vocabulary development in authentic texts.
- Use structural analysis of roots, affixes, synonyms, and antonyms, to understand complex words.
- Use context, structure, and connotations to determine meanings of words and phrases.
- Discriminate between connotative and denotative meanings and interpret the connotation.
- Explain the meaning of common idioms, and literary and classical allusions in text.
- Extend general and cross-curricular vocabulary through speaking, listening, reading, and writing.