Describe key communication topics involving opioids for patients.
Description should include
- benefits and risks of opioids
- opioid risk screening (i.e., taking a social, medical, and financial history)
- risk mitigation (e.g., naloxone, safe storage, pain contracts)
- medication tapers and/or discontinuation of therapy.
- What are the benefits of using opioids in medicine?
- What is the relationship between demographics and risk of opioid addiction?
- How does culture influence risk factors in opioid abuse?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will read, interpret, analyze, and evaluate a variety of nonfiction texts.
- Use critical thinking to generate and respond logically to literal, inferential, and evaluative questions about the text(s).
- Identify and synthesize resources to make decisions, complete tasks, and solve specific problems.
- Analyze multiple texts addressing the same topic to determine how authors reach similar or different conclusions.
- Recognize and analyze use of ambiguity, contradiction, paradox, irony, overstatement, and understatement in text.
- Analyze false premises claims, counterclaims, and other evidence in persuasive writing.