2019/2020 Competency-Based Task/Competency List for Biomedical Technician (8347/36 weeks)
Tasks/competencies when marked as such; they and/or additional tasks/competencies may be taught at the discretion of the school division. All other tasks are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.are considered optional
Demonstrating Personal Qualities and Abilities
Demonstrating Interpersonal Skills
Demonstrating Professional Competencies
- Demonstrate big-picture thinking.
- Demonstrate career- and life-management skills.
- Demonstrate continuous learning and adaptability.
- Manage time and resources.
- Demonstrate information-literacy skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of information security.
- Maintain working knowledge of current information-technology (IT) systems.
- Demonstrate proficiency with technologies, tools, and machines common to a specific occupation.
- Apply mathematical skills to job-specific tasks.
- Demonstrate professionalism.
- Demonstrate reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate workplace safety.
Examining All Aspects of an Industry
- Examine aspects of planning within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of management within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of financial responsibility within an industry/organization.
- Examine technical and production skills required of workers within an industry/organization.
- Examine principles of technology that underlie an industry/organization.
- Examine labor issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine community issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine health, safety, and environmental issues related to an industry/organization.
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
Exploring Work-Based Learning
Exploring Foundations in Biomedical Technology
- Explain the evolving role of biotechnology in medicine.
- Explain the scientific method.
- Maintain records and documentation.
- Demonstrate technical writing.
- Explain the importance of communication skills in biomedical technology.
- Perform a literature review.
- Follow instructions.
- Describe state/local/industry/professional regulations.
- Follow state/local/industry/professional regulations.
- Follow time-management practices.
Maintaining Safe Environment
- Follow protocol and safety procedures/guidelines.
- Demonstrate use of Safety Data Sheets (SDS).
- Identify first aid supplies, personnel, and emergency protection areas.
- Identify common laboratory hazards and standard precautions.
- Demonstrate procedures for handling and disposing of infectious and/or hazardous materials.
- Use personal protective equipment according to regulatory agencies' specifications.
- Maintain safety equipment, clean work area, and clean laboratory supply storage area.
Maintaining Quality Assurance
Performing Basic Laboratory Skills
- Practice aseptic techniques.
- Perform mathematical calculations and conversions.
- Explain the concepts of sample and sampling technique.
- Explain the process for making stock reagents and solutions.
- Make stock reagents and solutions.
- Monitor, adjust, and maintain physical properties of a solution/reagent.
- Sterilize reagents and equipment.
- Make and dispense culture media.
- Conduct and maintain inventory of laboratory supplies.
- Install equipment.
- Perform routine equipment maintenance.
- Use basic weighing and measuring techniques.
- Use the scientific method when performing research.
- Perform basic separation techniques.
- Perform statistical analysis of data.
Performing Basic Microbiology Skills
- Perform microscopy and vital stain preparation.
- Identify basic structures of microorganisms and cells.
- Quantify microorganisms and cells.
- Explain the concept of a pure culture.
- Isolate and store pure cultures.
- Explain the concept of fermentation.
- Perform fermentation.
- Explain the concept of harvesting cells.
- Identify hosts and life cycles of microorganisms.
Performing Cell Culture Techniques
Performing Molecular Biology Techniques
Applying Chemical Techniques for Biological Analysis
Exploring Professional Choices
- Examine professional ethical standards for biomedical technology.
- Explain the importance of confidentiality in the biomedical technology field.
- Describe tests for employability in the biomedical technology field.
- Explore career pathways in biomedical technology.
- Prepare an oral report for presentation.