Perform and/or assist with diagnostic tests.
DefinitionPerforming and/or assisting with basic and body-system-specific diagnostic tests in a clinical setting should include the following:
- Electrocardiogram (EKG)
- Vision test
- Hearing screening
- Pregnancy test
- Stress test
- Stool test
- Throat culture
- Allergy test
- Human papillomavirus (Pap) smear
- Glucose test
- Nasal swab
- Drug screen
- Vital signs
- What is the difference between basic and body-system-specific diagnostic tests?
- Why is it important for the medical assistant to understand the reasons for the collection of common specimens?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will read, interpret, analyze, and evaluate a variety of nonfiction texts.
- Use critical thinking to generate and respond logically to literal, inferential, and evaluative questions about the text(s).
- Identify and synthesize resources to make decisions, complete tasks, and solve specific problems.
- Analyze multiple texts addressing the same topic to determine how authors reach similar or different conclusions.
- Recognize and analyze use of ambiguity, contradiction, paradox, irony, overstatement, and understatement in text.
- Analyze false premises claims, counterclaims, and other evidence in persuasive writing.