Provide containers or slides for specimen collection.
Provision should include
- proper identification on containers or slides
- correct labeling of containers or slides
- use of industry standard aseptic technique.
- Why must the medical assistant be familiar with various specimen collection materials and methods?
- How does this knowledge affect examination process?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will demonstrate an understanding of scientific reasoning, logic, and the nature of science by planning and conducting investigations in which
- observations of living organisms are recorded in the lab and in the field;
- hypotheses are formulated based on direct observations and information from scientific literature;
- variables are defined and investigations are designed to test hypotheses;
- graphing and arithmetic calculations are used as tools in data analysis;
- conclusions are formed based on recorded quantitative and qualitative data;
- sources of error inherent in experimental design are identified and discussed;
- validity of data is determined;
- chemicals and equipment are used in a safe manner;
- appropriate technology including computers, graphing calculators, and probeware is used for gathering and analyzing data, communicating results, modeling concepts, and simulating experimental conditions;
- research utilizes scientific literature;
- differentiation is made among a scientific hypothesis, theory, and law;
- alternative scientific explanations and models are recognized and analyzed; and
- current applications of biological concepts are used.