Implement standard precautions.
DefinitionImplementation of standard precautions should include
- using personal protective equipment (PPE)
- handling of sharps
- performing hand hygiene
- using eye wash equipment
- using alcohol-based hand hygiene
- handling and disposing of biohazard materials
- identifying Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) blood-borne standards (including exposure-control plan and exposure incident management).
- What is the scientific basis of standard precautions?
- Why should all medical facilities have a biohazard exposure control plan and exposure incident management strategies?
- What are the implications for staff and patients if standard precautions are improperly carried out?
Related Standards of Learning
History and Social Science
The student will apply social science skills to understand economic systems by
- identifying the basic economic questions encountered by all economic systems;
- comparing the characteristics of traditional, free market, command, and mixed economies, as described by Adam Smith and Karl Marx; and
- evaluating the impact of the government’s role in the economy on individual economic freedoms.