Use drug resources.
DefinitionUse of drug resources should include locating appropriate drug information in the appropriate drug reference (e.g., Physicians' Desk Reference [PDR] or United States Pharmacopeia [USP]).
- What specific information about a medication can be obtained in the PDR?
- What is the difference between the information found in the PDR and that found in the USP?
- What resources are available to check use of herbal, homeopathic, naturopathic remedies/treatments?
- What are the risks of using unauthenticated websites to locate prescription drug information?
- Under what circumstances might a medical assistant need to research a prescription drug?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will read, interpret, analyze, and evaluate a variety of nonfiction texts.
- Use critical thinking to generate and respond logically to literal, inferential, and evaluative questions about the text(s).
- Identify and synthesize resources to make decisions, complete tasks, and solve specific problems.
- Analyze multiple texts addressing the same topic to determine how authors reach similar or different conclusions.
- Recognize and analyze use of ambiguity, contradiction, paradox, irony, overstatement, and understatement in text.
- Analyze false premises claims, counterclaims, and other evidence in persuasive writing.