Explain patient’s financial obligations for services rendered.
DefinitionExplanation should include
- description of itemized and monthly statements (e.g., explanation of benefits [EOB])
- procedure for collection of delinquent accounts
- types of payment accepted.
- What factors determine patient fees?
- What is a co-pay and/or co-insurance?
- What is a deductible?
- What is the legal requirement for collecting the co-pay?
- How do Medicare payments affect doctors' and other medical fees?
- How is an EOB different from a billing statement?
- What is an Advance Beneficiary Notice (ABN) form?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will read, interpret, analyze, and evaluate a variety of nonfiction texts including employment documents and technical writing.
- Apply information from texts to clarify understanding of concepts.
- Read and correctly interpret an application for employment, workplace documents, or an application for college admission.
- Analyze technical writing for clarity.
- Paraphrase and synthesize ideas within and between texts.
- Draw conclusions and make inferences on explicit and implied information using textual support.
- Analyze multiple texts addressing the same topic to determine how authors reach similar or different conclusions.
- Analyze false premises, claims, counterclaims, and other evidence in persuasive writing.
- Recognize and analyze use of ambiguity, contradiction, paradox, irony, sarcasm, overstatement, and understatement in text.
- Generate and respond logically to literal, inferential, evaluative, synthesizing, and critical thinking questions about the text(s).