Demonstrate triage of incoming telephone calls.
DefinitionDemonstration should include the following:
- Receiving calls according to office protocol (e.g., identifying healthcare facility and self)
- Evaluating calls
- Adapting calls relevant to individual patient needs
- Recording and relaying telephone messages
- Practicing effective listening skills
- Processing emergency calls
- Hearing-impaired caller
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Suicidal patient/caller
- Prayer line
- What information should be included when recording and relaying telephone messages?
- What practices can help the speaker maintain a pleasant voice while talking on the phone?
- What constitutes professional phone etiquette?
- What HIPAA regulations must be adhered to regarding protected health information (PHI)?
- What is tele-health and what are its implications?
Related Standards of Learning
History and Social Science
The student will demonstrate skills for historical thinking, geographical analysis, economic decision making, and responsible citizenship by
- synthesizing evidence from artifacts and primary and secondary sources to obtain information about events in Virginia and United States history;
- using geographic information to determine patterns and trends in Virginia and United States history;
- interpreting charts, graphs, and pictures to determine characteristics of people, places, or events in Virginia and United States history;
- constructing arguments, using evidence from multiple sources;
- comparing and contrasting historical, cultural, economic, and political perspectives in Virginia and United States history;
- explaining how indirect cause-and-effect relationships impact people, places, and events in Virginia and United States history;
- analyzing multiple connections across time and place;
- using a decision-making model to analyze and explain the incentives for and consequences of a specific choice made;
- identifying the rights and responsibilities of citizenship and ethical use of material and intellectual property; and
- investigating and researching to develop products orally and in writing.