Collect specimens such as basic urine, stool, sputum, and blood.
DefinitionCollecting specimens such as basic urine, stool, sputum, and blood should include the following steps:
- Completing laboratory and review order and requisition forms and procedures
- Verifying proper identification of patient and his/her specimens
- Gathering equipment needed to obtain specimens, including PPE
- Analyzing and labeling specimens, adhering to environmental and infection control guidelines
- Documenting the results of the analysis
- Identifying Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) waived tests associated with common diseases
- What information should be included when filling out laboratory requisition forms?
- What are proper storage requirements for various specimens? Why?
- What protective measures are necessary when working with body fluids? Why?
- What should be included in chart documentation related to laboratory tests?